Frequently Asked Questions
When does school begin and end?
Our school day begins at 8:00 a.m., and we dismiss students at 3:00 p.m. With a few exceptions, on all Wednesdays we dismiss students at 1:00 p.m. You can see our school calendar for more details.
What do I do if my child will be absent?
Parents and students are responsible for school attendance. If your child must be absent, we ask you to call the school to report the absence. Please let us know why your child is missing school so we can determine if it will be an excused or unexcused absence.
Is bussing available?
We do offer bussing for students. We ask students to adhere to the following rules:
- Students must comply with requests of the bus driver who has complete authority over the bus and its passengers.
- Students must refrain from loud talking or causing any sort of disturbance.
- Students must keep themselves and all articles inside the bus at all times.
- Buses do not leave the paved roadways.
Students will lose bus privileges if they do not follow the bus rules.
Can my child bring a cell phone to school?
Here at Mohawk Valley Elementary School District, we consider an electronic device to be any device that is capable of emitting an audible signal, vibrates, displays a message, or otherwise summons, or delivers a communication to the possessor. We prefer that students keep electronic devices at home, as they are a disruption to the learning environment. We are also not responsible for lost or stolen electronics.
Can my child ride a skateboard to school?
No. We do not allow skateboards or roller blades on school property at any time. Bicycles have designated storage areas. We will confiscate these items if a student uses them on campus, and we will return them only to parents.
If my child is over 18, can he or she smoke?
We do not allow smoking on our campus at any time or within 300 feet of our school. We will suspend students who violate our no-smoking policy.
Is there a dress code?
Good grooming and proper dress are a matter of mature taste and judgment. Here at Mohawk Valley, we expect students to be clean and suitably dressed. We also require all students to wear shoes. We do not allow the following:
- Bare midriffs
- Fish net shirts
- Clothing with obscene language
- Clothing with drug or sexual references, nudity, profanity, or vulgarity
- Gang-related personalization on items of clothes
- Pajama bottoms, slippers, tank tops, or spaghetti straps
- Extremely short skirts or shorts
What if my child is sick?
If your child is sick, please do not send him or her to school. Children who have a fever, vomiting, or diarrhea, should not be at school. We do not have a nurse on the premises. We are unable to provide day-to-day healthcare.